Author: pickering

  • Photo experiment – day 12 of 31

    Today’s experiment is trying a black and white HDR – I’ve tried a number of HDR’s in color, but this is the first time I have tried black and white. I used HDR Efex Pro. I didn’t like any of the monochrome presets. At first, I had trouble figuring out how to make the adjustments…

  • Photo experiment – day 11 of 31

    Today’s experiment is tilt-shift – applying the tilt-shift effect in Photoshop CS6 to a photo. The photo was one I took in 2005 in Central Park of The Gates – it was taken on slide film, and then I scanned the slide to convert it to digital, so the image is not of the highest…

  • Photo experiment – day 10 of 31

    Today’s experiment is using 2 cameras to take one photo. I’ve read about this technique using a twin-lens reflex and taking a photo of its viewfinder, producing an interesting vintage look. But since I don’t have a twin-lens reflex, this shot is simply an Iphone photo of my DSLR’s viewfinder. Might be an interesting technique…

  • Photo experiment – day 9 of 31

    Today’s experiment is not exactly photography – this image is produced by scanning. What I learned: getting all the dust off the scanner is critical, and frustrating composing isn’t easy, since you see the composition from the back side I couldn’t get one of those super-high-res scans due to my scanner’s limits – so this…

  • Photo experiment – day 8 of 31

    Today I tried a fisheye lens – so it didn’t take much effort (although I did find out that one can create a lot of boring images with a fisheye before finding some subject matter that works). I don’t have a fisheye lens for my DSLR, so this is using the olloclip fisheye on the…

  • Photo experiment – day 7 of 31

    Today’s experiment is focus stacking. I took 12 images of this flower, with a 60mm macro lens about 15 inches away.  With the lens set on manual focus, I moved the focus of the lens slightly between each photo.  Then I stacked the photos in Photoshop, and used the auto-blend layer stack option. The result…

  • Photo experiment – day 6 of 31

    Today’s experiment is lightpainting. This image was shot in a dark room, using a flashlight that had multicolor light.  For a few seconds, the scene was lit by the blue light from the flashlight, then with a quick burst of white light directed toward the middle of the scene.  I held the flashlight in one…

  • Photo experiment – day 5 of 31

    Today I created a photo montage.  Now that I am taking a lot of Iphone photos in square formats, I’m beginning to have some photos that can be combined effectively, like this set in blue.  I hope to someday have lots of potential combinations out of the photos I have taken.

  • Photo experiment – day 4 of 31

    Today I created a waterdroplet effect, using the Iphone app Marblecam.   This app is really easy to use, but it took me a lot of trial and error to get a decent image.  You can control the size of the droplet, and the placement on the page, but not what it reflects and what…

  • Photo experiment – day 3 of 31

    Today’s experiment was to take an ordinary daytime photo and turn it into nighttime. The result: And here is the image I started with:   First, I used the Midnight filter in Color Efex Pro to turn it into a dark scene.  This filter not only darkens the photo, but can add a bit of…