The first building on this site was constructed in 1699, as New York’s second city hall. The original Congress, after the Revolutionary War, met here from 1785 until 1789. In 1788, the building was remodeled by Pierre L’Enfant, and was the first building in the Federal style. After the Federal government moved to Philadelphia, the building again became New York’s city hall, until 1812 when the building was torn down. In 1842, a new building in the Classical style was erected, serving as a Customs House until 1862. From then until 1920, the building was a sub-Treasury of the U.S. Treasury.